Raised planter boxes are containers built to grow vegetables, flowers and herbs. The boxes are mostly constructed using weather resistant materials in order to reduce their need for maintenance. These materials have the ability of withstanding any outdoor element. The materials include redwood, teak, cedar, PVC and more.
The raised planter boxes are normally built in different sizes and can be used anywhere. They are convenient for gardeners who have back or knee problems as they are situated above ground and require less bending in order to reach. PVC is the most durable material commonly used in making planter boxes.
The reason many people prefer these planter boxes over normal flower beds is because they can be made out of many types of materials. For example clay or high quality wood can be used to really improve the look of your garden. The boxes are also generally lightweight and are fairly inexpensive. Some of them can even be self-watering and to some extent self-sustaining. Placing a raised planter box on the doorstep or front porch can be a great way to welcome guests to your home.
It is said that planter boxes made from clay can be beneficial to the health of the plants. They do however cause the soil to dry out much faster than boxes made from other materials. Metal boxes are also becoming more and more popular. They can be constructed with decorative feet raised above the ground, which allows for even better drainage.
General advice when using raised planter boxes
While you are able to plant just about anything in a raised planter box, most people grow vegetables, flowers or herbs in them. In these cases it is recommended to make sure they are large enough for the roots to spread. This will in turn ensure that the plants receive all the nutrients they need from the soil, but will of course also mean that more soil is required to fill the box.
Another important tip is to make enough holes in your planter box to allow for better drainage. The roots of your plants and crops will not become waterlogged which can negatively impact their health.
Benefits of raised planter boxes
- It creates an optimal environment for the soil and in turn your plants.
- They generally perform better than normal planter boxes or flower beds and improve the quality of your plants by increasing their nutrient intake.
- Raised planter boxes are easier to service and maintain for people with back and joint problems.
- Improve the look of your garden or front porch by using planter boxes made from high quality materials.
- Their height above ground can prevent certain critters and other pests from harming your plants.
- Raising the planter boxes above ground allows for better and more efficient drainage and prevents water logging.
- Normally, tilling the ground can bury certain weeds and give them the perfect opportunity to propagate again. With raised planter boxes you minimize the chance of weeds gaining a foothold to begin with.
- Depending on their size, they can be mobile and therefore allows you to begin your gardening earlier in the season.
- They avoid contaminated soil and are great for beginners.
Using raised planter boxes is a great way to grow all sorts of plants. They can improve the look of your house and garden and they are both easy to create and inexpensive. By using them you give yourself maximum control over all aspects of your gardening. This means that they are a great way for beginners to get into the world of gardening.